Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Natural remedy for acid reflux

I learned about this "cure" years ago from my midwife during my pregnancy with Isaac. Since then, I have recommended it many times, and it always seems to get the trick done. Great alternative to "purple pills", and safe during pregnancy.

It's kind of the same principle as fighting fire with fire.

If you take an antacid to get rid of your heartburn, the antacid "soaks" up your stomach acid, and the heartburn stops. Or at least it's supposed to. But more often than not, your body decides to make even more stomach acid because now there's even less acid in the stomach. So the typical recommendation of doctors to follow a low-acid diet is pretty much exactly the opposite of what you need to do.

Instead, "turn off" the bile production by simply raising your stomach's acid content. To do so, put 1-2 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar in a tall glass of water, and drink approx. 30 minutes before your meal. Your stomach will settle, and you won't have heartburn after the meal.

How long you will have to continue this regimen is up to anyone's guess. I thought I would have to do it for the rest of my pregnancy, but after just two days, I never had heartburn again for the remainder of my pregnancy. Since then, I have only had to use it a few times with each pregnancy (whereas I used to go through bottles of Mylanta during my first pregnancy).

Please let me know if you tried this and how it worked for you.

4 comments:

  1. I had heartburn in the evening for a couple weeks and then it stopped. I think it's because the baby dropped some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also heard of people using ACV to clear out a stomache bug, or those with intestinal issues.

    Do you drink the ACV strait for heartburn? Or mix it with water?

    If your taking it to clear out bacteria (like with a stomache bug) then it can be diluted in warm water, but has me wondering about the acid reflex, if it can be diliuted or not?

    Blessings,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christy,

    I dilute 1-2 Tbsp of ACV in a tall glass of tepid water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been using apple cider vinegar for years...it works for acid reflux and it also works for stomach ulcers...don't let that REALLY TART taste deceive you...ACV, while it tastes acidic, is actually alkaline in nature once it enters the bloodstream...ALWAYS DILUTE WITH WATER SINCE IT IS SO TART...and look for ACV with the 'mother lode'...you can tell by holding up the bottle to the light and seeing that web stuff sloshing around in the bottle...the web stuff or 'mother lode' is of a higher nutritional content then without it...because with the 'mother lode' contains the ENTIRE APPLE AS IN THE SKIN AS WELL...without the mother lode is without the skin...and I prefer the skin included because the skin has all kinds of extra goodies for your body...so drink ACV and enjoy it's many health benefits!

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.